Monday, February 8, 2016

Drawn Outside



These recent mild days are an unexpected treasure.  Snow is in the forecast for the next several days but it is after all still early February.  We have approached work in the garden but found the ground frozen hard.  Removing trees that have grown up into the electric wires seemed better suited to actual outdoor conditions.  Only the scrub trees in the foreground are on our property.  The white fence and the green field belong to the current owners of the original farmhouse.  The silo and barn are across the road and are owned by downstaters.


My cardiologist has been recently dismissed.  It seems that all he does during my appointments with him is type at his computer keyboard.  Listening to anything that I have to say appears to be an interruption so why continue to interfere with his day.  That means that I must work cautiously to avoid needing an ER run.  Since I do not use a power driven saw, limits must be observed when working.  This single tree was the only one scheduled to be cut today.

Kneeling on the ground is the position from which I cut.  Bending over is a more traditional approach but I tend to be lightheaded when I stand.  The first cut was made from the right of the photo.  The downward angle of the cut was not planned and may not be an advantage.  The upper cut went as planned.  At one point the saw path began to widen slightly.  Since it takes me some time to stand from a kneeling position, I began standing while the tree was still upright.  At about the same time that I became vertical and therefore able to move away, an audible snap was heard followed by the tree falling where planned.


Tree trimmings and cut brush are loaded into the trusty Ford Ranger and hauled to the brush pile at the gravel bank.  These cut trunks will be moved to the area where we have campfires.  Wild cherry trees will burn with sweet smelling smoke or so I think.  Not everyone sees it that way since my sweatshirt is always moved to the laundry following a fire.


Looking back uphill reveals more trees in need of trimming.  Cutting in the stately pines is way beyond my skill set.  My wish is that the pines remain a relatively safe distance away from the wires for as many years that we continue to live here.  We do not need to look at these trees sporting holes in their branches made to give the wires safe passage.  The smaller leafless trees under the path of the wires will be removed soon.

If you think that the pole in the foreground is not supporting any electrical wires you are correct.  Many decades ago this pole was installed to carry a support wire connected to the roadside pole where wires cross the road to the barn.  A more traditional support to the ground near the pole would have been an obstacle for farming.  Perhaps a second tree can be safely cut this afternoon.

3 comments:

Esther Montgomery said...

This sounds very dangerous! Dangerous to the point that you are in danger? Will you be finding a different cardiologist?

The smell of woodsmoke is one of the best smells there is. If they sold it as a scent in bottles - I'd wear it!

Esther Mongtomery
New Blog - http://estherandthetimemachine.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

ed et all

i saw yur blog and separating the tuberoses bulbs from 2011. remember that? I was just given a few pot fulls of them and when I take them out they are pretty well clumped. I would like to seperate out ome and so expand what I have to give to others but it seems you have to slightly tear them when the clump is real big. Any suggestions,guidance or advice?
I am in the himalayas in INdia but don't let the location be a question I am at 7,000 feet so not terribly cold and only a few snow falls. We have about 2 weeks max of cooler weather left. Then spring come quickly.
thank you, wonderfull blog!
Tim

Becky said...

In general we place new transplants in a shaded and protected from the wind location for a few days. During the tearing apart of the root mass, we try to remove damaged parts without inflicting more injury. The piece transplanted should be as free of injury as possible. A single heavy watering finishes the job. Thank you for your kind comments and good luck.